Tuesday 1 July 2014

Bellini birdseed bars

We are big fans of raw treats like bliss balls.  However, I am not a fan of rolling them and getting sticky mucky hands.  I took the lazy approach with these and made them in a baking dish and then cut them into pieces once they had chilled and firmed up.
Were they good? HELL YES!!  Okay, I may have accidentally got a small piece that flew from the bench into my mouth tried a small piece.  My kids, who are my guinea pigs food testers gave it the thumbs up and that is all that matters really.
These have no sweetener at all as I had run out of maple syrup and you know what, they didn't need it as the coconut oil and dried fruit are sweet enough.  I also didn't use dates in this like I usually would.  I only had dried and didn't want to wait for them to soak.

Ingredients:
1c nuts ( I used a mix of almonds and cashews)
6 dried apricots
1/4c hazelnuts
3tbs raw cacao powder
1/4 shredded coconut
1/4c chia seeds
1/2c buckinis
1tsp cinnamon
1/2c coconut oil

Method:
Put the cup of nuts in your bowl (or food processor) and blitz until relatively fine.   Tip into a separate bowl.   

Put coconut oil and raw cacao in bowl, if your oil is solid (I live in Tassie) then heat at 50c for 20sec on speed 2 or until completely melted and smooth.   

Add all other ingredients including blitzed nuts and mix on speed 2 until well combined, about 10-20sec (I left cutting blade in).  I didn't want to do it too much as I wanted some texture but found this worked fine.

Line a dish with baking paper and spoon mix in.  I used a 20cm x 20cm dish and it was about 2cm deep.  Flatten very well so it is even.  I use a freezer bag spread over top so I can press mix down hard with the heel of my hand.  
Freeze for at least an hour then cut into pieces and refrigerate.  




2 comments:

  1. These look great.
    Just wondering... if I subbed cocoa fro cacao powder, would it be too bitter? (I've never used cacao.)
    Also, what's 'buckinis'?
    I'm thinking these would be great for my boys for uni. (I'm still P3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Bukinis are buckwheat. http://plantessentials.com.au/products/loving-earth-bukinis but certainly not necessary to this recipe. You can swap and change ingredients to what you like. Raw Cacao is quite bitter so there won't be any real difference and you can always add honey or maple syrup to this.

    ReplyDelete